George Municipality continues to monitor the Coronavirus crisis and is implementing the concept of Social Distancing.
Social distancing is defined as deliberately increasing the physical space between people to avoid spreading illness. Staying at least 2m away from other people lessens your chances of catching COVID-19. As such the decision has been taken today 20 March 2020, to cancel all meetings including Special and Ordinary Council, Section 80 Committee meetings as well as the monthly Mayoral-In Committee which ordinarily the public would have been able to view via our Conference venue.
However, Municipal Manager Trevor Botha today announced that measures will be put in place to facilitate communication through the use of technology. “Our IT and Finance departments have been called on to facilitate operational functionality within this abnormal situation caused by the Covid 19 and establishment of the National state of Disaster Pandemic,”he said.
The public is reminded that while certain municipal offices remain open, access control will be exercised by a variety of methods including : limiting numbers allowed into buildings, pre-arranged appointments, phoning in with queries, corresponding via email or using online services where available. Security officials at the entrances to all municipal buildings will provide hand sanitisation materials as well as temperature checks. All persons who wish to enter any municipal building must kindly adhere to the directions given by security personnel and/or enforcement officers.
Entry may be refused should any person choose not the adhere to directions given. Please note that any person who hinders, interferes with, or obstructs an enforcement officer in the exercise of his or her powers, or the performance of his or her duties in terms of the Regulations issued in terms of the Disaster Management Act, 2002, is guilty of an offence and, on conviction, liable to a fine or imprisonment.
Members of the public are also urged not to visit their Ward Councillors at their homes until further notice. Urgent matters must be dealt with telephonically or via text messages or email.
The following municipal offices remain OPEN but with restricted access as listed above:
- Area Offices
- Civil Engineering Customer Care Centre, York Street
- Thusong Centre Touwsranten / Thembalethu
- George Tourism Office, York Street
- Social Services Office, Varing Avenue
- Housing Queries Office
- All offices located in the Main Building, 71 York Street.
- LED Office
- Sport Development Office
- Electrotechnical Services Office
- Civil Engineering Services Office, York Street
- Community Services , Meade Street
- Protection Services, Cathedral Street / Law Enforcement and Emergency Services
The following offices remain OPEN to the public and the number of people allowed inside the facility will be firmly controlled with entrances and facilities well-sanitised in accordance with the WHO COVID-19 protocols. Members of the public are requested to please adhere to the practice of social distancing, i.e. in seating areas, keep at least one chair space between yourself and the next person, and in queues please stand at least 2m apart from the person nearest to you.
- Motor Vehicle Registration
- Traffic Department / Drivers Licence – all eye testing equipment sanitised after each user
- Cemeteries will remain open with the number of people limited at the grave site, as per the gathering regulation of no more than 100 people.
- Municipal Court
Further information on the Corona Virus can be obtained via the resources listed below:
- NATIONAL COVID-19 hotline on 0800 029 999.
- WESTERN CAPE PROVINCIAL COVID-19 HOTLINE on 021 928 4102
- WHATSAPP SUPPORT LINE 0600 123 456 – Put the number into your contacts and Whatsapp “Hi”
- For more information and the latest news on COVID-19, please visit: http://westerncape.gov.za/coronavirus
- george.gov.za ; Municipal Facebook; Twitter; Municipal App
- Main Switchboard 044 8019111
- Civil Engineering Complaints 044 801 9262/6
- Electrotechnical Services Switchboard 044 801 9222 and 044 803 9222
- Community Services Switchboard 044 802 2900
- Social Development: 044 802 2000
- Emergency Services 044 801 6311 (Fire ONLY)
- AFTER HOURS 044 801 6300