Visit Knysna Office – Sedgefield
As announced recently, Visit Knysna has partnered with Fijnbosch Coffee Shop to be the outlet for tourism information and statistics on behalf of our main office. This appointment was done after a rigorous process was followed whereby a Request for Quotations were invited. We look forward to working with Kate and her team at Fijnbosch Coffee Shop as well as the greater Sedgefield community.
Tourism Month – September
In September, we will be rolling out a “treasure hunt” concept in order to promote awareness by being a tourist in your own town as part of international tourism month. Please see the separate communique shared should you wish to participate in this initiative. If you have not received information, but would like to know more about the programme, please be in touch with our office on 044 382 5510 or Info@VisitKnysna.co.za and speak to Thozeka, our Tourism Information Officer.
We would like to request that you encourage your family and staff to participate in this initiative during the month of September.
Safety & Security
Thank you to those of you who responded to the survey that we shared on behalf of DEDAT and WESGRO with regards to safety & security issues. WESGRO have subsequently issued a Tourism Safety FAQ document.
Click here for more information
SATSA shared an email encouraging linkages to various platforms where safety and security information can be shared.
Click here for more information
Visit Knysna – engagements attended
The Visit Knysna office had a very busy July month by attending the following:
• 9 – 11 July : The annual SATSA Conference at the Wild Coast Sun.
Colleen attended this. In conjunction with WESGRO, a conference sponsor, we had opportunity to exhibit at the conference.
Excellent presentations were done by Peter Shelley from Australia and Jacko Maree, a local envoy to our president. These both make for very interesting, mindful reading in articles by Tourism Update where they summarized these presentations :
• 16 – 17 July : SATSA Garden Route Road Show to Cape Town
Visit Knysna was privileged to be a part of this group of Garden Route products that bussed to Cape Town in order to present to trade and industry players (travel agents, tour operators, tourist guides, etc). It was very encouraging to note that of the 35 exhibitors, 13 were specifically there to represent us, the Greater Knysna area : thank you to these products. Together, we will make a difference.
• 17 – 19 July : Regional Tourism Organisation (RTO) meeting with WESGRO.
Keagon attended this RTO meeting on behalf of Visit Knysna.
– TripAdvisor shared their DATA Africa Travel Trends information at this workshop. Click here for more information
– Thereafter, those in attendance formed part of the panel where presentations were done by invited events who had submitted applications for funding through FACES. Our Knysna Forest Marathon was awarded a wonderful sponsorship at this function.
• 24 July : Where Travel & Trade Meet workshop
Thozeka and Keagon attended this workshop at Knysna Hollow where Tom Swarts (Survivor SA 2018 Winner) was in attendance. According to Thozeka, the workshop was informative, inspiring and entertaining. It was well organised and well attended. Our own Emzini Tours were in attendance to entertain everyone on arrival.
Consumer Shows : Do you want to participate ?
• We have committed to the following 2 consumer shows and booked stand space :
o 4 – 6 October : Gauteng Getaway Show
o 25 – 27 October : Outdoor Eco & Adventure Travel Expo.
Are there any products that would like to attend these shows (- the cost to you would be your travel and accommodation, etc. Stand cost carried by Visit Knysna) ? Should you be interested, please be in touch soonest with Keagon at our office : email Events@VisitKnysna.co.za or telephone 044 382 4410.
Visa cancellations for Inbound Travel
It is with great excitement that we note government’s cancellation of visa requirements for inbound travel from a number of countries, including New Zealand and the UAE. This will come into effect on 15 August 2019. Definitely, a step in the right direction towards inbound tourism promotion.
South African Tourism Presentations : Australia, China, India
At our stakeholders engagement in June, Hanneli Slabber, the Regional General Manager: Asia / Australasia / Middle East, shared their longitudinal performance plans for Australia, China and India. We have managed to receive these and they can be downloaded.
Items shared – on behalf of others :
- Invitation from FEDHASA Imvelo Sustainable Workshop.
- Invitation from WESGRO to a Halal Training Session in Cape Town on 23 August 2019. For more information contact Inge Dykman on Inge@wesgro.co.za
To end :
- Please remember to share events, happenings, photos, etc with our office in order for us to be able to better promote the Greater Knysna area.
- Event details can be shared to Events@VisitKnysna.co.za
- Social / Media details can be shared to Media@VisitKnysna.co.za
- Or tag our social media pages :
- FB : Visit Knysna
- Twitter : Knysna Tourism
- Instagram : Visit Knysna
In 2020, more than half the public holidays fall over a weekend period. This is an ideal opportunity to package for travel opportunities to our Greater Knysna area.