Two youngsters rescued, capsized dinghy, hoax call and cyclist dies

KNYSNA – Friday, 14th and Sunday, 16th October, 2011. 2 youngsters rescued – capsized dinghy, a suspected hoax call and sadly a local cyclist dies following a heart attack: 

At 18h00 (Friday, 14th October) NSRI Knysna volunteer duty crew were activated following reports of a dinghy capsized near Salt River, Belvedere, on Knysna Lagoon with two youngsters sitting on the upturned hull of the boat.

NSRI Knysna launched our rescue craft JAYTEE III.

Graeme Harding, NSRI Knysna station commander, said that NSRI Knysna volunteers responded by road in our sea rescue vehicle and our sea rescue craft responded and the Metro EMS ambulance service was activated. On arrival on-scene an 11 year old male and a 17 year old male were rescued from the upturned hull of their TIGER III Dinghy which had capsized while they were sailing on the lagoon.

They were brought ashore and treated by our NSRI Knysna medics and by Metro EMS paramedics for mild hypothermia but they were otherwise not hurt and they went home with their parents.

Their dinghy was recovered by our NSRI crew. 

At 08h38 (Sunday, 16th October) NSRI Knysna volunteer duty crew were activated following a phone call (by apparent motorists) to Police Control of a boat suspected to be in trouble with a mother and 3 children reportedly waving frantically towards shore at White Bridge and appearing to be indicating for help!

NSRI Knysna launched our sea rescue craft and our NSRI rescue vehicle was dispatched.

On arrival on-scene a search commenced but no sign of anyone in any difficulty has been found despite an extensive search and it is suspected that either this was a hoax call or the people who may have been in difficulty got to safety and left the scene? 

Then at 09h14 (Sunday, 16th October) NSRI Knysna volunteers were activated to assist at reports of a cyclist collapsed suffering a suspected heart attack in the Gouna Forest while cycling in the forest in a group of about 15 fellow cyclists.

Graeme Harding, NSRI Knysna station commander, said that our NSRI Knysna rescue vehicle, carrying our NSRI duty doctors and NSRI medics, responded to the scene and Metro EMS ambulance services were activated.

Graeme said that on arrival on-scene CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation) efforts commenced on a Knysna female, approximately 48 years old, and after extensive efforts to resuscitate the female were exhausted she was declared dead by doctors.

Share Button