The George Municipal Local Economic Development Department (LED) and the George Tourism Department have joined hands and are inviting local artists and crafters to showcase their handicraft (Arts and Crafts) at the Pacaltsdorp and Thembalethu Tourism Offices.
Executive Mayor of George, Ald Melvin Naik, strongly believes in the empowerment and development of communities and wishes to create a platform for this by giving assistance and support through the following initiatives:
- Workspace for artist and crafters:
- Space and equipment will be provided at the Tourism Offices for people interested in sewing
- Marketing opportunities:
- Products will be showcased and marketed to local and international tourists, visiting the Tourism Offices.
- Selling of products:
- No cash sales will be undertaken of products. Sales will only be made on orders. A business card, small profile of the person and selling price will be attached to the products, which will be displayed in a glass cabinet.
- Training will be available to handcraft and artists on a regular basis to ensure quality products and sustainable income for them.
- Internet access:
- Computers available at the Tourism Offices can be utilized on a daily basis by the public (unemployed, students, youth and entrepreneurs) to browse / search for information, to promote their businesses or to do school assignments.
- Business advice.
- The Local Economic Development’s (LED’s) Unit aim to create jobs by growing of the local economy.
- Internal as well as external Stakeholders will avail themselves to assist and advise SMME’s on a weekly or monthly basis at our Tourism Offices with information and show them how to apply for funding if the need occur.
The aim of this initiative is to ensure that the Local Community Tourism Offices become more public-friendly and to enhance the good working relationship between LED and Tourism to promote economic development and tourism attractions.
Please note that the equipment that will be used by SMME’s and the public will remain the assets of George Municipality and bookings must be done by individuals in advance to secure a fair chance to everyone to participate.
Terms and conditions will apply and a daily attendance register must be signed at both Tourism Offices.
All local artist and crafters who comply with the below criteria are herewith invited to be apart of this Mayoral initiative which is free of charge. Interested parties must adhere to the following criteria:
- Interested parties must be a local citizen and be registered on the Local Economic Development (LED) database;
- All hand crafters may bring only handcrafted items they have made themselves;
- All hand crafters must have readymade, good quality stock which can be displayed and which have sale potential;
- All hand crafters must have the ability to supply based on demand.
- Individuals who want to make use of the available workspace must booked beforehand.
To qualify for this opportunity, all local artists and handcrafters are invited to attend an open day on 09 February 2017 for an information session at the Pacaltsdorp and Thembalehtu Tourism Offices. They are requested to bring their products with them
Pacaltsdorp Tourism Office, Mission Street, Pacaltsdorp, from 11h00-13h00 to Ms. Heloine America, 044-8019411 and Thembalethu Tourism Bureau, Jeriko Street, Thembalethu, from 14h00-17h00 Ms. Melanie Martins, 044-8019195.